Crowdfunding is the buzziest buzz word in fundraising today. But what does it really mean and how can you take advantage of it to run your social change initiative? What is the difference between crowdsourcing, crowdfunding and peerfunding. What do you need to know to successfully raise funds from your community when over 60% of campaigns fail? Co-founder of StartSomeGood.com Tom Dawkins will introduce participants to both the theory and practice of peerfunding, dispelling misconceptions and giving attendees the knowledge they need to utilize this new fundraising form in the pursuit of their social mission.
- What have been the trends in online fundraising over the past ten years?
- What are the main misconceptions people have about crowdfunding?
- Why is peerfunding a better framework for thinking about this type of fundraising?
- What are the four reasons people support fundraising campaigns and how can you inspire them to support yours?
- What are the different types of stories you can tell about your project?
- What do successful peerfunders do and how can you give yourself the best chance of success?
- What sorts of rewards do people offer?
- What are the primary platforms to choose from and how can you pick the best one for your project?
Tom Dawkins is an Australian social entrepreneur living in San Francisco. He Co-Founder of StartSomeGood.com, a crowdfunding platform for social change initiatives. Tom was previously the founder and CEO of Vibewire, a leading Australian youth media nonprofit, and first Social Media Director at Ashoka, the world’s leading association of social entrepreneurs. He has supported numerous nonprofits, governments and arts organizations to better engage communities using technology and culture and spent many years organizing music and film festivals in Sydney. He has been recognized with awards and Fellowships from the UN, International Youth Foundation and Future Summit.
StartSomeGood is a crowdfunding platform which supports social entrepreneurs to raise the funds and grow the community of supporters they need to move from idea to impact.
We are motivated to create this platform because we believe there is no shortage of innovative ideas and passionate people ready to take on our most important challenges, but they often lack the resources they need to get started. StartSomeGood provides social entrepreneurs with a platform to raise start-up funds and build a community of supporters — all in a fun, engaging and community-driven way. Our site taps into the power of our expanding social connections, allowing entrepreneurs to ask for small amounts of money from supporters from around the world, and gives them the tools to update their supporters, provide unique rewards in exchange for support and run multiple campaigns over time.
We are international and support all forms of social good initiatives, for-profit, nonprofit and unincorporated.
Since launching in March last year we have supported 40 initiatives to raise over $250,000 to start some good!
StartSomeGood exists to empower changemakers to raise the funds and mobilize the community they need to move from idea to action and impact.